Bicycling Touring Gear
From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Jean-Francois Mezei)
Modified by: Kevin Fink
- Small wrench and/or Vise Grip.
- Allen keys
- Freewheel remover
- Swiss Army knife
- Spoke wrench (to adjust wheel alignment)
- Small bottle of "crazy glue" (CA Glue)
- Small roll of heavy tape (eg: duct tape)
- Puncture repair kit.
- Some soldering wire (lead etc).
- Some silicone sealant (small tube).
- Chain oil.
There is more to it, but generally,you have to look at all your equipment,
piece by piece and determine what is actually critical to getting you to the
next town if it breaks (and the likelihood of it breaking).
- One spare foldable tyre.
- 3 spare tubes.
- A few spare spokes. (one spoke can be used as a soldering iron after it
has been heated over stove).
For instance, what do you do if the hooks of your saddlebags break? Can you
fasten the saddlebags in some fashion with what you have on-board?
For trips where I know I will ride on gravel/unsealed roads, I also bring 2
fatter tyres for my road bike. I can put them on for those stretches of gravel.
As far as the "hotel" side of things
- Inflatable mattress
- Sleeping bag
- Portable stove
- Mess kit (for cooking food)
- Spices in a film container.
- Fuel for stove (cannot transport that on airplanes)
As far as the bathroom side of things
- Insect repellant (one bottle of skin so soft and one of the really
toxic DEET stuff such as Deep Woods Off. Warning:
those toxic chemicals melt LYCRA. Use only when
really necessary. I call that stuff "agent orange").
- Lip balm.
- Suntan lotion
- nail clipper
- first aid kit
- tooth brush
- Laundry Detergent (in a small ziplock bag)
LOTS of Ziplock Bags (resealable plastic bags usually for food.
I put all my gear in separate Ziplock bags. (eg: tools in one
bag, "bathroom" onto another bag, underwear in one bag,
sweater in another bag etc etc.
Go to the
Cascade Bicycle Club Home Page.
This page maintained by Kevin Fink